Saturday, January 29, 2011

Teamwork: My education continues

“Please, sir, May I have some more?”  Oliver Twist may have been seeking a different type of sustenance in that oft-quoted passage from the Dickens novel, but there was a time when I echoed his plea.  The sustenance I was after wasn’t another serving of gruel; it was precious funding to keep HSAPL on track and moving forward in our work to rescue and find homes for our own orphans; the four-legged, feline kind.

However, I am learning that soliciting funds isn’t so much a plea as a partnership with people who want to help.  Once a potential donor learns where the needs lie, it is often just a matter of matching that donor with the particular area that has meaning for him.  Some donors are excited about making an impact through funding spay and neuter services; others get satisfaction from knowing that their dollars are helping provide medical help for the cats.  And yet others see the organization as a whole and support the general fund so that money can be used where needed.  The common thread with each of these people is generosity and the sincere desire to make a difference in the lives of these cats.

As my education in fundraising continues, I am constantly learning about the variety of ways people can give.  I used to think that only rich people could donate to charities, but I couldn’t have been more mistaken!  I recently attended a seminar in which I learned that one of the easiest ways to give is by making arrangements to leave something to an organization after the person passes on.  It costs the donor nothing during his lifetime, but will accomplish so much down the road.  I’m working on plans to create a “Legacy Honor Society” in which anyone who makes such a bequest is invited to an annual tea or cocktail party.  Why not have some fun while we’re helping the cats?!

My days of embarrassment and reluctance to fundraise are behind me.  I am humbled by the generosity that people of all ages show to HSAPL.  From the children who sell lemonade to make money for the cats to the individuals who bring in food and supplies, kindness is everywhere.  Of course I still dream about that million-dollar gift coming in someday, and I know that it will.  But I now understand that it isn’t the one big donation that keeps an organization afloat, it’s the ongoing support.  Whether it’s $5.00 or $500,000, a kitten or cat’s life is made better by every single gift.

To learn more about donating, adopting, or volunteering, please call Pam Walker at 772-463-7386

No comments:

Post a Comment