Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Foster care: Loving 'em and letting 'em leave

“I could never foster cats.  I would fall in love with them and end up keeping them all!”  I have heard this sentiment expressed over and over again when talking to people about volunteering as foster parents for HSAPL.  And, I have to admit, I empathize.  Several of my family cats started out as foster cats, but never quite made it out of my household.

Fostering involves nurturing a cat, helping the cat to become well-adjusted and healthy, and then stepping back and letting it go when a permanent home is found.  This can be tough emotionally, and that’s what makes fostering one of the most selfless and kind jobs that a volunteer can undertake.  It means putting the overall well-being of the cats ahead of one’s own emotions.

I spoke with Liz, the coordinator for the HSAPL foster program, and foster parent extraordinaire.  Liz has been fostering cats for twelve years and has found homes for over 120 cats.  She began fostering when she worked for a humane society in Michigan and saw cats being euthanized because there were no foster homes to provide temporary housing for them.

When asked about her most memorable foster experience, Liz recounted the story of a 12-year-old Russian Blue cat, Frazier, who came to her with a severe respiratory illness.  Liz nursed Frazier back to health and after four months he was adopted by a lovely, older couple.  The couple corresponded with Liz for the next three years at which point the husband contracted cancer.  Throughout his ordeal, Frazier spent many hours by the man’s side.  After the man passed on, the wife confided to Liz that her husband had derived much comfort from the cat’s presence.  Shortly thereafter, Frazier passed on of kidney failure.  One likes to imagine that Frazier felt his mission on earth had been accomplished and he was ready to move on.

 Liz gives this advice to the aspiring foster parent: “Fostering,” she says, “is a total commitment to getting the kitten or cat ready for its forever home.  You must realize that your home is only a halfway house and try not to get too attached.  Fostering can be a joyful experience and the rewards will outweigh the difficulty of parting.”

Liz is currently fostering this engaging little kitten, Cheddar.  You can learn more about Cheddar and other cats that are currently available for adoption by checking online at: http://petfinder.com or by calling HSAPL at 772-463-7386.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say.... fostering for HSAPL was definitely a great experience. Two years ago, I fostered a lovely calico mommy cat and her five beautiful kittens. While there were some tears and anxiety when it was time for the kittens to be adopted, it was incredibly rewarding to see them find wonderful forever homes and bring joy to new families. Mia, the mommy cat, became a permanent part of my family simply because we fell in love with her and she was a great fit in my household. Although my busy schedule doesn't allow me to foster these days, it's an experience I highly recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fostering for HSAPL:
    It may take me a box of tissues when a home is found for one of those I have cared for and loved, but I do love fostering! Just to know they are starting a new life is such a great feeling. I totally enjoy the pictures the new owners share with me. Warms my heart. These Cats will truly be loved and have a great ending to a story that most began very rough.
    And so the story continues for them all.......
    Learn from the best! Liz. if you have never fostered, try it just once. You won't be sorry you helped a life move on.

    ReplyDelete